The essay as I see it revolves
around two major questions: how are we supposed to respond to the personal
dimension of a creator, and what effect does this dimension has on the artist’s
piece.
As we learn from the chapter,
Melville was allegedly an abusive man, violent towards his family and a major
force of destruction in his household. The knowledge that his eldest son took
his own life indicates that there was something undeniably wrong in that
family’s portrait. The fact that in his lifetime Melville was mostly
unsuccessful, frustrated and caught up in an uneasy mental state that
intensified the aggressive seed that was probably already there, resulted in an
abusive man who victimized his family. Equipped with this kind of knowledge, I
have to ask myself if my admiring approach toward Melville up to now has to
change drastically, or perhaps I can choose to detach this information from his
greatness as an author, or even further - should I consider his deformity and
monstrosity as an additional factor that influenced his writings?
Many amazing artists were accused
of antisocial behavior, which caused agony to their surroundings. Jackson Pollack, for instance, was a drunk
and a wife beater, according to his biography, but still, his works project so
much power and emotions that it takes your breath away. His troubled soul is
engraved on his canvas, in the same sense that Melville’s illness is reflected
in his writings. It’s a well known and repeated theory that greatness is an
outcome of anomaly and deviation that is sometimes embodied in an abusive
behavior towards self and others. I’m in no way trying to create any kind of
Gordian knot between violence and great art, but I back the theory that
greatness is an outcome of oddities that can sadly effect an artist’s
surroundings. If it manifests as direct violence, then it is condemned and
disgusting, but it does not lessen the outcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment